St. Mary School, Pune, India, was founded in 1866 to cater to the education of the daughters of officers of the British Indian Army who were posted to Pune. From 1866 to 1977, the school was run by the Sisters of the Community of St Mary the Virgin, an Anglican order based in Wantage, England. In 1977 it was decided at Wantage to hand over the school to secular administrators because as times had changed: the increased administrative work involved in running a school was felt by the community felt to be incompatible with their religious life. Elizabeth Matthew who had been a senior English teacher with the school since 1973, had been appointed Vice-Principal in June 1976. The Sisters withdrew from the School and Matthew took over as Principal. The enrollment went from 840 students to 2700.